Sadhna Gupta Yadav was an Indian woman. She was the second wife of Samajwadi Party founder Mulayam Singh Yadav and the stepmother of Akhilesh Yadav. She died on 1 October 2022 at Medanta Hospital in Gurgaon after she developed a lung infection.
Sadhna Gupta Yadav was born in 1959 (age 63 years; at the time of death) in Bidhuna, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her brother, Promod Gupta, is an Indian politician who contested Uttar Pradesh’s 16th Legislative Assembly elections and won. He was appointed as an MLA in Uttar Pradesh and served in the position for five years. Promod Gupta joined the Bharatiya Janta Party in Uttar Pradesh in 2022.
Promod Gupta (left) while joining the BJP government in 2022
Husband & Children
In 1986, Sadhana Gupta got married to Chandra Prakash Gupta, who works as a grocer in Farrukhabad, Uttar Pradesh. The couple has a son named Prateek Yadav who is a politician in UP. She got mutually divorced from her husband in 1990. In 2003, she got married to Indian politician and Samajwadi Party founder Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Sadhana Gupta with her husband
Mulayam Singh Yadav is twenty years older than Sadhana Gupta. They officially confirmed their marriage in 2007. Mulayam Singh Yadav stated in an official affidavit that Sadhana Gupta was his wife and Prateek Yadav was his son.
Sadhana Gupta with her son and daughter-in-law
Her daughter-in-law, Aparna Yadav is an Indian politician. In 2011, Aparna Yadav joined the Bharatiya Janata Party government in Uttar Pradesh. Akhilesh Yadav, an Indian politician, is her stepson. Akhilesh is Mulayam’s son from his first wife, Malti Devi.
Sadhana Gupta with her husband and step-son, Akhilesh Yadav
Sadhana Gupta was in a relationship with Mulayam Singh Yadav before getting married to him in 2003. Akhilesh Yadav, in his biography, Badlav Ki Lehar, stated that when his grandmother (Murti Devi) was not well in the 1980s then Sadhana Yadav used to take care of Murti Devi and often visited their house. In one of the instances, Akhilesh mentioned that Once, a nurse was about to apply a wrong injection to Murti Devi, but suddenly, Sadhana Gupta immediately stopped the nurse from doing so. Mulayam Singh Yadav was impressed by the caring behaviour of Sadhana. Akhilesh wrote,
A nurse in the medical college was going to inject a wrong drug to Murti Devi, which came to Sadhna’s notice as she was present there at the moment and stopped the nurse from doing so.”
Sadhana Gupta and Mulayam Singh
Sadhana Gupta belonged to the Other Backward Class (OBC) community.
Sadhana Gupta lived at Post-Saifai, District Etawah, 26001, Uttar Pradesh.
According to Sadhana Gupta, she wanted to join politics after her marriage to Mulayam Singh Yadav, but he strictly refused her to do so. She was a homemaker.
Sadhana Gupta (right) while attending an event
On 1 October 2022, Sadhana Gupta died in Medanta Hospital in Gurgaon after developing a lung infection. Soon after her demise, the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Yogi Adityanath wrote a condolence note on his Twitter handle and expressed his grief on Sadhna’s death. Yogi wrote,
The death of Mulayam Singh Ji’s wife is extremely saddening. May Lord Ram help the soul attain moksha and strength to the family.”
- According to some media sources, Mulayam Singh Yadav considered Sadhan Gupta lucky for him. Reportedly, when she entered into his life in the 1980s, he became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
- Akhilesh Yadav was studying in intermediate classes when Mulayam met Sadhana Gupta.
- Before Mulayam’s marriage to Sadhana Gupta, in 1994, Mulayam’s name was registered as Prateek’s guardian in one of the affidavits submitted by Mulayam Singh Yadav in Prateek’s school.
- Reportedly, Akhilesh Yadav was not happy with the marriage of his father to Sadhana Gupta. Akhilesh started living separately after his father’s second marriage. The relationship of Mulayam Yadav with Sadhna was only known to the late veteran Indian politician Amar Singh.
A picture of Sadhana with her husband, Mulayam Singh Yadav
- In 2003, Sadhna Gupta’s name started floating on many media channels as the second wife of Mulayam. Sadhana came into the limelight after the death of Mulayam Singh Yadav’s first wife and Akhilesh Yadav’s mother, Malti Yadav.
- In 2017, Sadhana Gupta was spotted supporting her son Prateek Yadav on many news channels. She was heard saying that there was a war going on between Samajwadi and her during the final phase of election polls in Uttar Pradesh as she wanted her son Prateek Yadav to join politics. In a media conversation, she disclosed that Mulayam Singh Yadav was humiliating her and her son, Prateek Yadav, but she would fight for the rights of her son. Sadhana Gupta said,
I would now assert myself and not tolerate the humiliation of Netaji (Mulayam).”
Sadhana Gupta added in the same discussion that Mulayam Singh never differentiated between Akhilesh Yadav and her. She mentioned,
He has been misled by some people, otherwise he would not have done what he did. I feel bad about what happened in the family. A chief secretary was transferred and people said I was behind it. This is false, though I wish I was so powerful.”
Sadhana Gupta (extreme right) with her family members