Mithoon is an Indian musician. He rose to prominence in 2013 when his song “Tum Hi Ho” from the Bollywood romantic film Aashiqui 2 became a chartbuster hit and earned him the Best Music Director award by Filmfare. In 2016, he composed the song “Sanam Re,” which was honoured by the Global Indian Music Academy Awards with the title “Most Streamed Song of 2016.”
Mithoon was born Mithoon Sharma on Friday, 11 January 1985 (age 37 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. His zodiac sign is Capricorn.
A childhood picture of Mithoon while playing a piano
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 40 Inches, Waist: 32 Inches, Biceps: 12 Inches
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Naresh Sharma, and he works as a music composer in the Indian entertainment industry.
Mithoon with his father and mother
Naresh Sharma worked with renowned Indian musicians of his time and composed songs for more than two hundred Bollywood films. Pandit Ram Prasad Sharma, his grandfather, was a noted musician. The prominent Bollywood music composer Pyarelal Ji from the popular pair Laxmikant-Pyarelal is his uncle.
Wife & Children
He is not married.
He is in a relationship with Palak Muchhal since 2013. In October 2022, they announced that they would get married in November 2022.
Palak Muchhal and Mithoon
In 2006, Mithoon began working as a music composer; however, he earned popularity in the Indian music industry in 2011 with his song Phir Mohabbat from the film Murder 2 and Tum Hi Ho from the film Aashiqui 2 in 2013.
He came into the limelight in 2005 when his songs “Woh Lamhe” from the film Zeher and “Aadat” from the movie Kalyug became superhits. In the following year, he composed the songs for the film Bas Ek Pal in which the prominent Indian singer KK sang its title song and Atif Aslam sang the song Tere Bin. In 2007, in the film Anwar, his songs Tose Naina Lage and Maula Mere became chartbusters. In the same year, Mithoon, along with Malaysian R&B singer, Ning Baizura composed music for the Malaysian film Diva. Later, in the film ‘Train,’ he composed the superhit songs Woh Ajnabee, Beete Lamhe, and Mausam. In 2011, the popular songs “Aye Khuda” and “Phir Mohabbat” from the films Murder 2 were hit. Later, he composed several popular songs in many Bollywood films such as Jism 2, Yaariyan, Ek Villain, Hate Story 2, Creature 3D, Samrat & Co, Alone, Hamari Adhuri Kahani, Bhaag Johnny, All Is Well, Loveshhuda, Sanam Re, Ki & Ka, Shivaay, Wajah Tum Ho, Half Girlfriend, Shab, Aksar 2, Hate Story 4, Baaghi 2, and Mercury.
In 2007, he collaborated with Indian singer Abhijeet Sawant and composed the song “Ek Shaqs” for the music album Junoon. He composed many hit songs for his own music album Tu Hi Mere Rab Ki Tarah Hai in a partnership with T-Series in 2009. Many noted musicians from the United Kingdom collaborated with him for this album. In 2010, he worked with singer Atif Aslam and composed the song “Kuch Is Tarah” for the album Doorie. Later, he became a part of the band Philharmonic Orchestra.
The poster of the song Kuch Is Tarah
In 2014, he attracted controversy after he had a verbal conflict with Bollywood actor Salman Khan on the stage of the Star Guild Awards ceremony.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
(He earned the following awards for the film Aashiqui 2)
- Best Lyrics Award at the Star Guild Awards
- Best Song Award at Big Star Entertainment Awards
- Best Song & Best Music Award for Aashiqui 2 at GiMA
- Best Music Award for Aashiqui 2 at Filmfare Awards
- Best Lyrics, Best Song & Best Music Award for Aashiqui 2 at Zee Cine Awards
- Song of the year, Music Composer of the year, Album of the year & Listener’s choice of the Year Award for Aashiqui 2 at Mirchi Music Awards.
- Best Lyrics & Best Music Awards at IIFA
Mithoon posing with his awards
Mithoon received a nomination for Filmfare Award for Best Lyricist during the 59th Filmfare Awards ceremony.
- According to Mithoon, his music icons in the Indian film industry include Madan Mohan, Mohammed Rafi, Oscar Peterson, Miles Davis, Laxmikant-Pyarelal, M.M. Kreem, Viju Shah, and A.R. Rahman.
- Mithoon is a professional jazz pianist.
Mithoon during a live concert show
- Once, in a media conversation, Mithoon narrated that his father began teaching him music when Mithoon was four years old. Mithoon earned professional music training from noted musicians in the entertainment industry. He recalled in the same discussion that during his training period, his father used to keep an eye on his performance. He said,
My father always told me that he could teach me how to make my music, but I would have to find my own opinion or message. Without having anything to say through your music, you cannot make the world a better place.”
A childhood picture of Mithoon with his father