Jameel Khan is an Indian actor who is known for appearing in the web series Gullak (2019) and played the role of Santosh Mishra.
Jameel Khan was born in 1965 (age 57 years; as of 2022) in Bhadohi, Uttar Pradesh. He did his schooling at Sherwood College, Nainital. He pursued a bachelor’s degree of arts in history at Aligarh Muslim University, Uttar Pradesh and a master’s degree of arts in English at Mumbai University, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Jameel’s father’s name is Ateeq ur Rahman Khan.
Jameel Khan with his father
Wife & Children
Jameel is married to Shahana Khan.
Jameel Khan with his wife
They have a son and a daughter.
Jameel follows Islam.
Jameel started his career in 1999 with the Hindi film ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’ and played the role of Nimesh.
Jameel Khan in the film ‘Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam’
He appeared in other Hindi films Asambhav (2004), Badmaash Company (2010), Goliyon Ki Rasleela Ram Leela (2013), Firangi (2017), and 14 Phere (2021).
Jameel Khan in the film ’14 Phere’
He debuted in the television show C.I.D. in 1998 on Sony TV.
Jameel Khan in the TV series C.I.D.
In 2001, he appeared in the television show ‘Parsai Kehate Hain.’
Jameel Khan in the television show ‘Parsai Kehate Hain’
He appeared in television commercials for Asian Paints, Pan Vilas pan masala, Castor oil, Alpenliebe Lollipop, and Dairy Milk.
- 2021: Best Actor (Comedy Series) at Filmfare OTT Awards for the web series Gullak
Jameel Khan posing with Filmfare OTT Award
- 2022: Best Actor (Comedy) at OTT Play Awards for the web series Gullak
Jameel Khan posing with OTT Play Award
- Jameel followed his dream of becoming an actor when he came to Mumbai after completing his graduation. He struggled a lot during the initial days of his career and could afford only a one-room kitchen for many years.
- He was interested in acting since his school days and won the Geoffrey Kendal trophy in various theatre competitions when he was a part of the school’s theatre group. During his graduation, he was a part of the Sabrang theatre group in Aligarh. He was also one of the founding members of the Indian People’s Theatre Association in Aligarh.
- Jameel received a lot of support from Naseeruddin Shah. He was a part of the play Julius Caesar by Naseeruddin Shah‘s theatre group Motley. He accompanied Shah in other plays like Manto…Ismat Haazir Hain, Katha Collage, Safed Jhoot Kaali Salwar, The Caine Mutiny Court Marshal, Faust, and The Chairs. In an interview, he talked about his friendship with Shah and said,
Nasiruddin Shah is my mentor and my friend for lifetime. One can learn so many things from him. My association with him is for 20 years now. Whenever I tell him that he is my Guru he always smiles. It is a privilege for me to have shared stage with such a genius.”
Jameel Khan in the play ‘Manto…Ismat Haazir Hain’
- He was a very active kid in school. In an interview, he said that during eid when he used to fast, all of his classmates were surprised to see him play football tournaments while fasting. In the interview, he further said,
I was in Sherwood College, Nainital for 10 years. There used to be a very elaborate spread for Iftaar and even for Sehri. My non-Muslim friends envied that spread but were always in awe of how we could go without even water for around 15 hours. I wonder how I managed to play football tournaments and sports while fasting.”
- He appeared in JEE exam after completing his schooling, but he could not clear the exam. Later, he took admission to Aligarh Muslim University and started studying history there, but his father wanted him to clear the civil service exams. In an interview, he said that he learned Urdu while studying in Aligarh.
- He received a lot of recognition with the web series ‘Gullak’ in 2019. In an interview, he said that he was not interested in the script initially, but later, he liked the story a lot. In the interview, he further said,
You would be surprised to know I had initially rejected the role… After reading a few pages I felt it was like TV. The writer then asked me to hear him out. He narrated the entire story to me, and I felt it was great, something I should not let go of.”
Jameel Khan in the web series ‘Gullak’
- He won an award for the web series ‘Gullak’ in 2021. In an interview, he said that he received this honour after twenty-five years of working in Bollywood. In an interview, he talked about receiving the award after such a long time and said,
I would like to believe that the biggest sign of success is to remain a working actor for the last 25 years and be recognised by the audience for our work. Award and stardom happen only to a few people but if the aim is to become an actor, then not the award but the acting projects and remaining relevant for the craft is important for me.”