Husband: Chaitanya Sharma
Profession: Fashion Designer
Hometown: Kolkata, West Bengal
|Known for||Tying knot with his gay partner Cheitan Sharma on 3 July 2022 in Kolkata|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 170 cm
in meters– 1.70 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 7”
|Birthplace||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|Hometown||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|School||South Point High School, Kolkata|
|College/University||• St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata
• National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kolkata
|Educational Qualification(s)||• From July 1999 – June 2002: He attended St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata to pursue a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Honors.
• From July 2002 – June 2005: He attended the National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kolkata to pursue a Diploma of Education in Fashion Designing. Abhishek Ray’s LinkedIn Account
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||3 July 2022|
|Wife/Spouse||Chaitanya Sharma (engineer)|
|Siblings||He has a younger sister.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Abhishek Ray
- Abhishek Ray is an Indian fashion designer and academician who came into the limelight on 3 July 2022 when he tied the knot in an intimate ceremony with his gay partner Chaitanya Sharma. Soon after their marriage, their pictures went viral on social media. The wedding ceremony was attended by their close friends and family members in Kolkatta.
- Abhishek Ray actively contributes as a teacher and mentor in the most prominent universities and institutes of India in the field of Fashion Design.
- Abhishek Ray has experience in Indian Ethnic, Couture and Menswear, primarily having embroidery crafts, surface ornamentation, and a mixture of trendy silhouettes with traditional textiles. His brand deals in pret, luxury-pret and couture.
Abhishek Ray posing at his venture
- Abhishek Ray belongs to Kolkata and soon after completing his college studies, he started working as a fashion designer. In June 2005, he joined Ekru Alluring Designs as its Creative Head, and he served the position till July 2014. From September 2010 to December 2010, Abhishek Ray served as a Freelance Guest Faculty at the National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kolkata.
- According to Abhishek Ray, his paternal family includes the sports hardcore academicians, chartered accountants, and barristers while his maternal family is a renowned North Kolkata zamindars.
- In August 2014, Abhishek Ray started working as an Executive Design Head in Bridals and Trousseau at Ruceru Couture Private Limited, Kolkata – IndiaMART, and he worked in the position till October 2016.
- In July 2014, Abhishek Ray started his own venture named Abhishek Ray Creations where he was appointed as a Creative Head along with his business partner Abhilasha Shaw Arora. The prominent Indian actress often spotted endorsing his creations on various social media platforms.
Sreenanda, Abhilasha, and Abhishek
- In May 2017, Abhishek Ray began working as a freelance Guest Faculty at the Indore, Bhopal, and Kolkata branches of INIFD, and he served the position till May 2018.
- In a conversation with a media house, Abhishek Ray stated that he is inspired by the work of Alexander McQueen, John Galliano, and Sabyasachi in the fashion industry.
- In July 2019, Abhishek Ray joined Amity University as Adjunct Faculty in its Amity School of Fashion Technology department at Kolkata.
- From March 2021 to May 2021, Abhishek Ray served the Gurukul School of Design as a Freelance. From January 2020 to July 2021, he served Part-time the NSHM Knowledge Campus as a Guest Faculty at Kolkata, West Bengal, India.
- Abhishek ray often sails his clothing brands through the Lakme and Wills Fashion Weeks. Since childhood, he wished to become a fashion designer and adored the attires and dressing styles of veteran Indian actresses such as Sharmila Tagore, Helen, and Bindu. In a media interview, he stated that he used to help his school friends in designing their ethnic attire. He said,
The vamps of Indian cinema like Helen, Bindu and Aruna Irani enthralled me as much as the bouﬀant-decked Sharmila Tagore who oozed a certain urbanity and chic. Suchitra Sen was another classy actress who knew how to carry what she wore. I used to even help my school friends design their ethnic attire.”
- Abhishek Ray and Chaitanya Sharma had been friends on Facebook for a long time before meeting each other in 2020.
- After the Covid 19 lockdown unlocked in India, they planned a trip to Agra where Chaitanya proposed Abhishek in front of the Tak Mahal. In a media conversation, he talked about his excitement on the proposal day. He said,
We made a trip to Agra, where he proposed to me, in a very filmi way, right in front of the Taj Mahal. Because, casually, I had told him I am a very Bollywood-y person and that it was my dream to see the Taj Mahal with my partner.”
Chaitanya proposes to Abhishek in front of the Taj Mahal
- During their wedding ceremony on 3 July 2022, Abhishek Ray wore a dhoti-kurta and dressed up like a traditional Bengali groom and his partner Chaitanya Sharma donned a sherwani. Chaitanya Sharma is a digital marketer, who works in a private company in Gurugram, India.
- In an interview with a media house, Abhishek Ray stated that he could not himself lawfully wedded as same-sex marriage was not legally recognised in India. He said,
I like to call it a wedding ceremony. I can’t call myself lawfully wedded but yes, I am wedded and Chaitanya is my husband.”
Abhishek Ray (right) with his gay partner and family members
In the same conversation, his partner Chaitanya Sharma stated that he was feeling blessed and luckiest with his husband and life partner Abhishek Ray. He further urged every member of the LGBTQ+ community to overpower the challenges with confidence. Chaitanya said,
I feel blessed and luckiest to have Abhishek as my husband, life partner and best friend. He is a very kind and amazing person. What else can I expect from a partner?”
The couple at their wedding ceremony
- According to Abhishek Ray, the biggest challenge he faced in his wedding arrangements was to find the pandits from the Bengali and Marwari cultures. Telegraph India
The wedding card of Abhishek Ray and his partner
- Abhishek Ray remains very active on various social media platforms with the name ‘abhishekraycreations.’ His Facebook page is followed by over 13k people, and his Instagram handle is followed by over 3k people. Abhishek Ray often shares pictures and videos of his clothing creations on social media. These clothes are endorsed by renowned Indian models and actors.
A renowned Indian model featuring Abhishek Ray’s clothing collection
|↑1||Abhishek Ray’s LinkedIn Account|